20090817

These Words Are My Own

One song can change a person. I know from experience. I’m going back to the summer of 2005. A Saturday night in early July. Open House Party with John G. was playing on the radio. His guest that night was a young British singer. I had heard her song before, and to be honest, I wasn’t that impressed. But I guess I hadn’t really listened that well.

The singer’s name was Natasha Bedingfield. She was promoting her recently released CD and Open House Party was one of the stops. I had tuned in just when they were interviewing her. They were taking listener calls, and Bedingfield sang a few lines of the song to them. I was impressed. There was talent in that voice. From that moment, I was hooked on Natasha Bedingfield’s music. I listened for ‘These Words’ as much as I could.

By Christmas 2005, I owned her CD. I thought it was pure brilliance. She wrote/co-wrote just about every song on that album. I was in love with every song. Then, ‘Unwritten’ became immensely popular in the spring of 2006. It had actually been released in the fall of 2005, but took its time becoming popular. Everyone knew who Natasha Bedingfield was then. Since then, she has released two more albums, had another hit, released a few more songs, and gotten married.

Lots of people say that Natasha Bedingfield is a favorite. I can say that she was my favorite before she became famous in the US. It’s kinda nice to be a fan from the beginning instead of jumping on the bandwagon like everyone else. “That’s all I have to say. Can’t think of a better way. And that’s all I have to say. I love you is that okay?”

No comments:

Post a Comment