20090810

Not the Usual Crowd

When I was down at MEPS (A long story in itself that I’m not going to get into. MEPS stands for Military Entrance Processing Station.) I ended up hanging out with the smokers and druggies. Even though I don’t smoke, I was reminded how much I enjoy hanging out with that crowd. These guys are so much more friendly and chill. They don’t care who you are. “Smokers/druggies” are more accepting than “non-smokers/druggies”. They don’t judge you if you do or don’t do what they do like the “nons”. They are more willing to admit they have problems and talk about them.

I can just imagine Jesus eating dinner with the tax collectors and other sinners like he did in Luke 5:27-32. One might have said something crude. Another would elbow him and be like, “Dude, Jesus is with us. We aren’t talking like that.” The first guy would be like, “Right,” and sheepishly grin and not say much more after that. The reason I can imagine it is because I’ve been in similar situations. Most of my school friends know that I don’t talk or act like they do and try to tone some stuff down when I’m around.

I enjoy being around those people because they aren’t afraid to be real. Jesus wanted to be with the people who wanted and openly needed to be with him. He would have gotten nowhere if he stayed with the Pharisees and argued with them the whole time. No problem is ever solved by staying with people who say there isn’t a problem. I need to be where the problems are. MEPS was a good reminder of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment